• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

E/M vs. Preventative Family Planning Visit

Best answers
How would you code this visit? E/M or Preventative. If Preventative, can I get away with coding an additional E/M based on evaluation of patient for insomnia and subsequent prescription? Insomnia is has been a problem since visit the year before. The lack of HPI and ROS is what bothers me about coding the visit. No Comprehensive History component.

CC: Annual PE and Pt would like referral for Vasectomy
HPI: Wife wants to go off pill. Interested in birth Control
PMH: Lumbar Disc Disease
Surg Hx: 0
Allergies: NKDA
Social H: Married, No tobacco use, alcohol socially
ROS: sleep problems
Vitals Documented
Exam:
General: Normal
Head: Normal
Eyes: Normal
Neck: Normal
Chest: Normal
Breasts: Normal
CV: Normal
Abdomen: Normal
Back: Full ROM, non tender
Ext: Normal
Skin: Normal
Neuro: Normal
Assessment: Family Planning, Insomnia, Lumbar Disc Disease
Plan: Urology Consult, Lunesta RX

Thanks for your input.

Best answers
the lack of info bothers me, too lol lol
okay it's only a preventative....there has to be an HPI/EXAM/MDM of the pertinent problem (s)....looks like this MD referred pt to URO to handle the vasectomy...don't see any mention of insomnia

How would you code this visit? E/M or Preventative. If Preventative, can I get away with coding an additional E/M based on evaluation of patient for insomnia and subsequent prescription? Insomnia is has been a problem since visit the year before. The lack of HPI and ROS is what bothers me about coding the visit. No Comprehensive History component.

CC: Annual PE and Pt would like referral for Vasectomy
HPI: Wife wants to go off pill. Interested in birth Control
PMH: Lumbar Disc Disease
Surg Hx: 0
Allergies: NKDA
Social H: Married, No tobacco use, alcohol socially
ROS: sleep problems
Vitals Documented
Exam:
General: Normal
Head: Normal
Eyes: Normal
Neck: Normal
Chest: Normal
Breasts: Normal
CV: Normal
Abdomen: Normal
Back: Full ROM, non tender
Ext: Normal
Skin: Normal
Neuro: Normal
Assessment: Family Planning, Insomnia, Lumbar Disc Disease
Plan: Urology Consult, Lunesta RX

Thanks for your input.

Best answers
Too Bad there's No Time noted

If time spent w/ the patient had been noted, along with a statement that more than 50% of that time was in counselling/coordination of care you could bill the E&M services based on time.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC