• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We’re introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

ear lobe piercing repair codes


Best answers
Has anyone ever coded a procedure to close an ear lobe piercing, where the pt uses those big holes? I can't find an ICD 9 or procedure code, please help!:confused:
Milwaukee WI
Best answers
Cosmetic surgery

The process of putting every larger items in the ear to stretch the ear lobe is called "gauging up."

Repair of this "self-inflicted" aberration is considered cosmetic surgery. We use 69399, title it "repair of gauging up" and require payment in full in advance of surgery (to include anesthesia, surgeon and facility fee).

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC