Wiki Looking for Employment Opportunities Without Healthcare Setting Experience

Best answers
Hello. I'm feeling frustrated and thought I'd reach out.

I have a 2 year degree, CCA certification, and CPC-A certification. I'm located just north of the twin cities metro area (MN). I've applied for every coding position I come across. I don't even get a call back for a telephone interview. Many times I get an e-mailed response stating that they require 2 years of healthcare office experience. I've been applying and networking and giving it my all - but I'm feeling defeated. I've looked into the Project Xtern opportunities, however, none of them are in my metro area. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any feedback / suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you~

Have you applied for noncoding jobs?

Hello. I'm feeling frustrated and thought I'd reach out.

I have a 2 year degree, CCA certification, and CPC-A certification. I'm located just north of the twin cities metro area (MN). I've applied for every coding position I come across. I don't even get a call back for a telephone interview. Many times I get an e-mailed response stating that they require 2 years of healthcare office experience. I've been applying and networking and giving it my all - but I'm feeling defeated. I've looked into the Project Xtern opportunities, however, none of them are in my metro area. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any feedback / suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you~

Hi Amanda,

Are you only applying for coding jobs? In most organizations ( not all) coding is not an entry level position. Often times getting a foot in the door job like working at the front desk in a medical office will allow you to gain experience working with an EHR, learn about different insurance plans and with your certifications you could offer to help the billers and coders if needed. This is how many coders get their start. The last two hires in my department worked their way up from the front desk, now one is a certified coder, the other is a biller. I got my start by doing charge entry and eligibility verification for a behavioral health organization, I got certified and my charge entry experience helped me land a coding job.

Also, become active in your local chapter if you are not already. I don't just mean go to a meeting. Get active, offer to help out during a meeting and other events. Make sure the officers know who you are. Offer to co proctor an exam. Serve as an officer. I know several people who got their first coding job or a better coding job by using the connections made while serving as an officer.

Heather CPC

2018 Treasurer Cape Coders