Wiki Endoscopic Ablation of Telangiectasias for patients with recurrent epistaxis due to HHT

Ambs0816

New
Best answers
Our rhinologist has started doing this procedure and I am having trouble assigning a code, the description of the procedure is:

I began by removing the Rhino Rocket that had been placed in the emergency department. I then removed a lot of crusting and found a large septal perforation with clean edges suggesting that the perforation is longstanding. I then identified the largest telangiectasias that seems to be the source of the bleeding and I ablated them with a combination of a Coblator and a suction Bovie. This was performed on the left and right sides with the left side being more involved. There were some fairly substantial areas of bleeding on the floor of the nose with large carpet like areas of telangiectasias. The patient's nasal cavities were then irrigated and found to be hemostatic. I placed some fibrillar high up in the nose bilaterally and put a layer of Surgi-Flo along the floor and superiorly in the nose. I then packed the nose with some Nasapore.

I am going between - 31238 Nasal/Sinus endoscopy, surgical, with control of nasal hemorrhage, 30801/30802 Ablation, soft tissue of inferior turbinates, 30117 Excision or Destruction, intranasal lesion or do I just go Unlisted and compare to one of these codes for reimbursement. I feel like I have looked at every possible option so any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated :)

One of my ENT surgeons will be doing Bilat Endoscopic treatment of HHT, also using coblator, in the hospital. I was going to code 31238, too, but since he plans to do intranasal avastin injection at the lesion sites, I am hoping someone has the CPT for both the medicine injection code as well as C code for avastin ? Any reimbursement issues with using R04.0 (epistaxis) and HHT ICD secondary??