Wiki Endoscopic resection of mucosal polyp

The Dr. did not give me too much info. He was referring to a snare removal and described it as going around the outside of the polyp and resecting it from the mucosum. Unfortunately, I don't have a location either... It was more a general question as to if there was a seperate code for a resection such as above other than just a standard snare removal. Somewhere the Dr. has heard there is a code more specific to removal from the mucosum... Any help/pointers is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Stephanie

Technically, there is not a specific CPT code for Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR), but I've seen publications recommending the snare code, the submucosal injection code, the unlisted code or an existing code with a 22 modifier. The last two options would require a detailed report for submission with the claim to payers.

Updated CPT Code??

Since this thread is old, I was wondering if there has been a CPT code that has been added since this last discussion was posted?

Mucosal resection

I am trying to code it now. The MD documented that he attempted snare and it was not successful so he injected with saline and then did a mucosal resection so I cannot find a code either for it. In my report the MD also snared some polyps so I gues that I can only report the snare because here where I code we do not code unlisted procedures.