• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

EP question-having a problem

sharper

Best answers
I am having a problem understanding CPT code 93624, 'follow up to evaluate therapy'. Can it be done during the same session as an ablation or does the documentation need to state a different day or time?
Thanks for your help!
Susan:confused:

Cyndi113

True Blue
Best answers
Yes, according to the Coder's desk reference:

Following administration of therapy (antiarhythmic drugs, surgery, ablation, etc), the physician places an appropriate aterial or venous sheath, usually femoral to allow access to the chamber to be studied.

Last edited:

sharper

Best answers
Thank you Cindi,

The reason I question this is that in my Medlearn Cardiac Rhythm Management Coder it states: Code 93624 is reserved for follow up studies performed at a separate session or subsequent day to test the effectiveness of chronic therapy. NCCI edits prohibit 93624 with any of the ablation codes when performed at the same session or same day.

My EP doc wants me to bill this code at the same time he does the ablation. It doesn't seem right to add a 59 modifier but it isn't getting paid unless we add it.

I just want to feel comfortable adding the code.

Thanks,
Susan