• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

ER Coding-Hospital Based

Kristin

Contributor
Best answers
Yes and you add the modifier-25 when procedures are performed.
Yes, you can code infusions, injections and immunization even if it is done while in the ED.

kishacajun

Networker
Best answers
I'm being told that you don't pick up the E/M when doing hospital based ER coding...I know now to pick up my injections along with my icd9 volume 3 code but still confused as to if i need to pick up the evaluation and management...also do i need modifiers on my injections, infusions, etc?

Kristin

Contributor
Best answers
I'm being told that you don't pick up the E/M when doing hospital based ER coding...I know now to pick up my injections along with my icd9 volume 3 code but still confused as to if i need to pick up the evaluation and management...also do i need modifiers on my injections, infusions, etc?
I am as well curious to know why you would not pick up 99281-99285 codes?
I do the coding on E&M's and procedures for my facility (someone else codes the ICD-9's) and we pick up the appropriate E&M. If billed with a procedure we place the -25 on the E&M. And we use any apporpriate modifier on procedures -52, -59 ect.

gentrta1

Best answers
Hospital Based ED coding

We are a hospital and my office audits the ED charts on a daily basis.

We code the ED Visit level (99281-99285)
We code the ED Procedure level adding modifier 25 to visit level if appropriate and after checking the S and T status procedures.
We bill the infusion codes by the the Drug Administration Code Hierarchy, ie:

IV Infusions/Meds 90765, 90766, 90767 and concurrent 90768, 90769
IV Push injections 90774, 90775, 90776
IM/SQ injections 90772, (not for immunizations, we use the admin codes)
IV Hydration 90760, 90761

Hope this helps.:)