Wiki ER Coding-Hospital Based

Yes and you add the modifier-25 when procedures are performed.
Yes, you can code infusions, injections and immunization even if it is done while in the ED.

I'm being told that you don't pick up the E/M when doing hospital based ER coding...I know now to pick up my injections along with my icd9 volume 3 code but still confused as to if i need to pick up the evaluation and management...also do i need modifiers on my injections, infusions, etc?

I'm being told that you don't pick up the E/M when doing hospital based ER coding...I know now to pick up my injections along with my icd9 volume 3 code but still confused as to if i need to pick up the evaluation and management...also do i need modifiers on my injections, infusions, etc?
I am as well curious to know why you would not pick up 99281-99285 codes?
I do the coding on E&M's and procedures for my facility (someone else codes the ICD-9's) and we pick up the appropriate E&M. If billed with a procedure we place the -25 on the E&M. And we use any apporpriate modifier on procedures -52, -59 ect.

Hospital Based ED coding

We are a hospital and my office audits the ED charts on a daily basis.

We code the ED Visit level (99281-99285)
We code the ED Procedure level adding modifier 25 to visit level if appropriate and after checking the S and T status procedures.
We bill the infusion codes by the the Drug Administration Code Hierarchy, ie:

IV Infusions/Meds 90765, 90766, 90767 and concurrent 90768, 90769
IV Push injections 90774, 90775, 90776
IM/SQ injections 90772, (not for immunizations, we use the admin codes)
IV Hydration 90760, 90761

Hope this helps.:)