• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 30th Nov, 2021. The site will be offline from 8:30PM (MT) till 10:30 PM MT. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Excision malig. melanoma 11640 vs 27615

MEZIESKY

Networker
Best answers
I seem to run into this alot. Wide local excision of maligant melanoma of left leg. I have trouble between the 11640 codes with layered closure and the 27615 code. I see this alot and the Dr. always want the 27615 code. His op notes read: Both were excised after delineating
an elliptical incision around both with adequate gross margins. The areas
were then infiltrated and taken with a knife down to the fascia with
excisions measuring 2 x 1 cm proximally and 4 x 3 cm distally. Both sites
were closed in a multiple layer fashion with 3-0 PDS and dressings were
applied including Xeroform.

Thank you for your help
Marie

mbort

True Blue
Best answers
because he is taking it down to the fascia, I believe the 27615 code is the correct code.

Its important to look at the depth of the incision/excision as they are not always going to be from the integ section.

Treetoad

Expert
Best answers
I could be wrong in my thinking, but unless he went into the muscle/fascia, I would stick with the skin/subcutaneous codes. According to this documentation, he's only going down to the fascia (unless I'm missing something). Again, I might be a little too conservative.

mbort

True Blue
Best answers
The 27615 is for soft tissue. The other alternative is 27618 which is sub-q.

You read it correctly Treetoad..it is only "down to" the fascia so it still qualifies for a code outside the integ section.