Wiki Financial Responsibility

hrivera17

Contributor
Best answers
My practice is changing our policy on who is made financially responsible for account balances. This applies to children of divorced parents and adult children. For example, mom has custody of child. She brings in patient for appointments and she signs for financial responsibilty but the policy is under dad. We are being told to bill dad. It used to be we would bill the person who signed for financial responsibility. This is causing a big confusion in our billing department as we have never had to bill someone who did not sign for financial responsibility. Is this even legal?:confused:

My practice is changing our policy on who is made financially responsible for account balances. This applies to children of divorced parents and adult children. For example, mom has custody of child. She brings in patient for appointments and she signs for financial responsibilty but the policy is under dad. We are being told to bill dad. It used to be we would bill the person who signed for financial responsibility. This is causing a big confusion in our billing department as we have never had to bill someone who did not sign for financial responsibility. Is this even legal?:confused:

Just curious, did you find your answer? My billing department has met the same dilemma. And I apologize for being a few years late. Thanks!

You can bill under the dad to the insurance but I do think the mother should be the one to get the statement after insurance. I would feel uncomfortable billing the father where he was not the one to bring the child in. If she wants the dad to be billed, she should deal with that on the back end. Give her the statement and she can give it to him but she ultimately signed the agreement acknowledging she would get the bill, not the father.

Whether or not it's legal, I am not sure...

I agreee, bill the person who brought in the child and signed financial responsibility. How divorced parents handle who pays is up to them, and you are not a party to it. Insurance is usually written into child support agreements, as to who has to provide it. That is a separate issue from who has to pay copays (alot of agreements say the non-custodial parent is responsible for half of the out of pocket costs).

In any case, you are not a party to those agreements.