Foreign Body -- Constricting Hair?

Best answers
What is the correct diagnosis code for a constricting hair on the toes? I am looking for a foreign body code, but the only code I can find is a retained, residual foreign body of the skin.

Help!

Thanks in advance!

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
There is an E code for this so perhaps code for the injury to the toe and then use the E code for the reason for the injury.

Best answers
Thanks! I just saw the E-Code ;)

This particular scenario was a baby and a hair was around three of the patient's toes and was constricting.

Thanks again!

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
I wondered if that was the case that is not an abnormal scenario. Just remember the E code cannot be first listed. Just an interesting note this was exactly the reason this E code was created, It will prevent DFS from getting the wrong impression when an injury on the baby is submitted.

Best answers
The patient had edema on the initial visit. The patient returned for a follow up the next day.

I used edema as a dx code for the initial visit.

Would the edema (still present) be correct coding for the subsequent visit?

Thanks!

Best answers
Another Scenario

While we are talking about injuries -- another scenario I see from time to time is a patient presenting to the ER complaining that his/her ring is stuck.

There is no dx code for this -- I code the symptoms. However, I have not successfully found an E-Code for this either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

michelle1227

Best answers
the E code for this one is E928.5 external constriction caused by other object. prob need to code the symptoms or try a 915.x or 883.x if the ring has caused a wound