• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

future of medical coding

Lorrainbow

Best answers
Does anyone know what the new health care law will mean to medical coding?Will there be
more opportunity for coders or is there going to be a big change to coding?
Lorrainbow CPC-A

mcnaryk

Guru
Best answers
Does anyone know what the new health care law will mean to medical coding?Will there be
more opportunity for coders or is there going to be a big change to coding?
Lorrainbow CPC-A
As I understand it, I believe there will still be a need for coders, maybe even more so with additional people gaining access to healthcare and actually going to the doctor. Even with a single-payer system (think Medicare), claims will have to be coded and submitted for payment. Now where I DO get concerned is that more people will be pushed into Medicaid, and with the baby boomers coming of age and going on to Medicare, that leaves 2 of the lowest-paying insurance programs as the majority of carriers out there. Bottom line: will physicians make enough money to stay in business and maintain staff?? I don't know. I guess we have to wait and see now. Fingers crossed!!

-Kristina, CPC, CANPC