Wiki Global Period - primary care physician

dsmith06351

Networker
Best answers
If a patient is seen in the E/R by the ER Doctor for an I&D of an abscess, and then comes in to see their primary care physician for a follow up does this fall under the global period?

Thanks for any help

Denise Smith CPC-A

No. It is only global if patient were seen by the same physician who performed the procedure. So his PCP may bill an office visit. Hope this helps !

No, global only applies to your physician if he provides the original service. The patient seen at the ER can be charged an office visit for follow up by his primary care physician. For example, if a patient has stitches in the ER then comes to your office to have them removed, you can bill for that, or the patient can go back to the ER and have them removed for no charge within the global, usually 10 days for stitches, or minor I&D. After 10 days, they would even by charged at the ER. It has been my experience though, that some ER's will bill for the service no matter what, and the patient has to be knowledgable enough to fight the charges.

Good Luck!

Shena, CPC

Thanks for your help. I thought that was the correct way. Is it written somewhere so that I can show it to my coworker?

Denise Smith CPC-A