Wiki Guidelines-location-ASA

JWash618

Networker
Best answers
I have a doctor that is wanting to code a sigmoid resection as an upper abdomen procedure because he made the incision for the laparascope above the umbilicus.

I have been asked to find documentation that states that we do not code to the sight of the scope, but to the site the procedure was performed.

Does anyone know where I can find this!?!

you have to code the procedure performed, if the procedure does not allow for the approach used and there is documented medical necessity for that approach the you may be able to append a 22 modifier.

Well the thing is, I am coding for anesthesiologists, so they arent actually doing the procedure, we just use the CPT code of the procedure to pull an ASA.
What I am really looking for is a website, or book, that states that it is incorrect to code to the lap. incision site.
Thank you for responding!!

I am not certain you will find exactly what you are looking for, you will find many soruces that stae you must code to the procedure performed. I do believe as the anesthesiologist your code must match to the procedure code used for the surgeon. Otherwise you will be showing anesthesia for one procedure while he shows surgery for something different.