Wiki health plan

vjst222

Best answers
Does anyone else think with Obama's new health plan, their job will be in jeopardy? I am so paranoid about this. I have been protesting the health plan because I don't want to loose my coding job.
Any thoughts?

In this economy, I think that ALL jobs are in jeopardy.

Honestly, I'm so confused about what this health bill will finally entail that I'm not sure if it will be good or bad for coders......

I think it will either be a tremendous opportunity for us, or we will go the way of the dinosaurs.......

JUst remember that while coding may no longer be required for payment, ICD-codes were always used to collect data about motality and morbidity of populations. So that job will always be there.

This is true, however, they might not need a "professional" to do that. I am so confused to. I think possibly coders could take a major pay cut ( as if I could take anymore of a paycut)

They still have coders in other countries that already have government run health care.

Getting the government involved rarely (if ever!) simplifies things, so the odds of coding becoming easier under a new system seem far fetched to me.

I worry about my job because in this day and age you have to, regardless of what you do. I have no intention of worrying about it from that angle just yet.

You need to remember that the other countries using ICD-10 are using more than just the dx piece, they are using the procedure part of it as well. If that goes into place here, I see pay raises not cuts. ICD-10 dx is freaking everyone out, imagine what happens when they can't use CPT anymore....

Just some food for thought.

Staying positive,

Laura, CPC, CEMC

I agree with Laura. I have never seen the government do anything that didn't take more work, effort, personnel, and experts to decipher what they said and what they really meant.

I also have yet to work for a physician who wants any part of it.

Make yourself valuable by staying on top of it all and sharing the information, so they know you are on top of it. More than likely they'll look at you with the doe in the headlights look and say, "it sure is a good thing we have her/him".

Worrying about anything just makes you sick and unhappy, and I have never solved a problem by worrying about it. Besides I saw on TV that a McDonalds employee is a very wealthy man, about to own his own McD's and expects to become a millionare. I don't think that is going to happen to me from my coding job.

An

Does anyone else think with Obama's new health plan, their job will be in jeopardy? I am so paranoid about this. I have been protesting the health plan because I don't want to loose my coding job.
Any thoughts?

That's what happens when you eat the pablum and think uncritically about the anecdotal reasoning of the pundits and politicians. What facts do you have to support your paranoia? None probably, if you did you would find the facts are scarier then the proposed changes to address the problems.

Try the website politifact.org to get some facts, then the real paranoia will set in; health care premiums have doubled since 2001! Can you afford to buy health insurance if that occurs again in the next 8 years? Scary!

Last edited: