• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Help-Coding groin mass

Hopp

Guru
Best answers
6 cm incision of the lt groin mass - Op note as follows:
6 cm eliptical inc.made around the mass in the lt groin.
Sharp dissection was used to dissect the mass free. vessels suture ligated using 2-0 Dexon suture ligature.Mass sent fresh for Histo. Subcutaneous tissues were closed using 2-0 Dexon and the skin closed with interrupted 3-0 vertical masstree nylon suture. Path:Acute Abscess, Skin and underlying soft tissue from the lt.groin Please help with coding - Im still new! Thanks Debbie CPC-A

dmaec

True Blue
Best answers
I'd be looking at the "excision - benign lesions" 11400 - 11406 codes, for the CPT code and 789.3x codes for the mass. (based on the info you've given)
Is that correct though, 6 cm? or is it .6cm?

panam

Best answers
panam

Hi there , I am new to coding and posting too. I'd like to take a shot
at helping though.
The ICD-9 code is 682.2 [abscess,acute, groin].This is from the path-
logy report.
The CPT code is 11406 ,Excision -Benign Lesions. This is because the
size of the incision to remove the abscess is over 4.0cm. Hope this
helps.

Hopp

Guru
Best answers
Thank you

Thanks so much for all your help! I was just confused because it stated incision instead of excision.
Debbie CPC-A

mbort

True Blue
Best answers
Hi Debbie,

You may need to double check with your surgeon on this. It appears that, based on the closure alone (he indicates closure of the sub-q layer) , that he went through the subcutaneous tissues for the excision of this mass, however he never states the depth of the incision.

If it truly went through the sub-q layer then you will need to look further than the "excision of benign lesion" codes.

I would also wait on your diagnosis until the path/Hist report comes back for confirmation of what exactly the mass was.

My two cents :)
Mary

crhunt78

Guru
Best answers
Hi there , I am new to coding and posting too. I'd like to take a shot
at helping though.
The ICD-9 code is 682.2 [abscess,acute, groin].This is from the path-
logy report.
The CPT code is 11406 ,Excision -Benign Lesions. This is because the
size of the incision to remove the abscess is over 4.0cm. Hope this
helps.
I agree that the dx should be 682.2 and I also agree with the 11406 excision code. Did the surgeon do a repair at all?