Wiki help! Perc pinning little toe

taurus7694

Networker
Best answers
:confused::confused:Can anyone tell me which code is the correct code for Percutaneous pinning of the little toe?? There are codes for the great toe ...but not for the phalanx of the little toe?? Thanks

I was looking at 28496, which is percutaneous skeletal fixation of fracture great toe, phalanx OR phalanges. Why can't this be used? Am I missing something? You could use the modifier to indicate which toe, like T4. I guess I'm a little confused on this also. Thanks, Paula

You would use CPT 28525, Open treatment of fracture, phalanx or phalanges, other than great toe, includes internal fixation, when performed, each. Per the Podiatry Coding Companion, "This code reports percutaneous skeletal fixation of a toe fracture other than the great toe."

CPT 28496 is for the great toe only -proximal and/or distal phalanx (phalanges) of the great toe.

I wouldn't use 28525 if no incision was made. Thats why I think it should be 28515.
If there was an incision then I would go with 28525.

Thought I would share, per the Coding Companion for Orthopaedics...
on the 28525 in Coding Tips it says "This code reports percutaneous skeletal fixation of the toe fx other than the great toe"

Brenda M. CPC
Northern Orthopedics
Brainerd, MN

Closed reduction percutaneous pinning of toe, other than great toe

Per first Quarter 2016 coding clinic page 4; assign 28515 for the closed treatment of fracture and the 28899 for the pinning portion.