Wiki Help, please?

ohn0disaster

Best answers
Does anyone have a list of medically accepted abbreviations or know where I could come by a list like that of some sort? I would really be appreciative if someone could point me in the right direction.

We had a problem in our office with the docs and arnp using abbreviations for everything they can think up an abbreviation for. We've worked out a lot of those issues but there are still times that they fall back on old bad habits. Just today, I ran into a problem with our billing department kicking back an encounter in which the DX was written "PNA". The entire note was pretty clear to me what the abbreviation stands for and I'm familiar with the abbreviation being used for Pneumonia. That is what I coded for, pneumonia. The Subjective states that the patient was here for follow-up from ER visit in which the patient was diagnosed with "walking" PNA and it goes further into detail about wheezing and O2 Sat. etc etc. Anyway, the billing department sent back a memo, along with the coded encounter, saying that PNA does not stand for pneumonia. They limit what we're able to pull up on the internet here at work so it is sometimes very difficult to do any researching here. Any help finding a reputable source for medically accepted abbreviations would be extremely appreciated!

Does anyone have a list of medically accepted abbreviations or know where I could come by a list like that of some sort? I would really be appreciative if someone could point me in the right direction.

We had a problem in our office with the docs and arnp using abbreviations for everything they can think up an abbreviation for. We've worked out a lot of those issues but there are still times that they fall back on old bad habits. Just today, I ran into a problem with our billing department kicking back an encounter in which the DX was written "PNA". The entire note was pretty clear to me what the abbreviation stands for and I'm familiar with the abbreviation being used for Pneumonia. That is what I coded for, pneumonia. The Subjective states that the patient was here for follow-up from ER visit in which the patient was diagnosed with "walking" PNA and it goes further into detail about wheezing and O2 Sat. etc etc. Anyway, the billing department sent back a memo, along with the coded encounter, saying that PNA does not stand for pneumonia. They limit what we're able to pull up on the internet here at work so it is sometimes very difficult to do any researching here. Any help finding a reputable source for medically accepted abbreviations would be extremely appreciated!

Hope this helps....

www.medilexicon.com

:)

Yes, actually, this site actually works on our computers at work! Yay! I totally understand why our company took the internet away from us due to misuse from certain individuals. I doubt that the company big wigs understand just how much it hinders us from being able to thoroughly research and find answers to things we are unsure of though! It's a shame that a few bad eggs ruins the whole bunch. Thanks for you response!