• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We’re introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

help w/ DX code for ECG!

mass31

Contributor
Best answers
Patient came in for ECG recently feeling confused has a history of left parietal cavernoma s/p resection the ECG was normal expect for where the known skull defect is...Do I code the cavernoma as the reason for the test even though the patient has had a resection? and if so what is the correct code 228.02? or should it be the confusion? confusion codes to 298.9 unspecified psychosis which will be denied by medicare... :confused:

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
Patient came in for ECG recently feeling confused has a history of left parietal cavernoma s/p resection the ECG was normal expect for where the known skull defect is...Do I code the cavernoma as the reason for the test even though the patient has had a resection? and if so what is the correct code 228.02? or should it be the confusion? confusion codes to 298.9 unspecified psychosis which will be denied by medicare... :confused:
the code you have selected 298.9 is in the category for nonorganic psychosis. I do not believe this is the diagnosis the provider intended when he arote confusion. perhaps you should look at altered mental status in the 780 category. you need a symptom code for the symptom of being confused not a psychosis diagnosis. You would not use the 228.02 code as that condidtion was excized. I would clarify with the provider that his intention was altered mental status.