Wiki Help with discontinued procedure - vascular doppler

dawnlamb

Best answers
Patient was scheduled for a venous access device, however, in the pre-op holding area, a vascular ultrasound was performed to evaluate the potential for obtaining adequate venous access to support a VAD. After evaluating the patient with vascular doppler, the physician determined that there were no sites to access his venous system to place a port and the surgery was not performed.

I have seriously over-analyzed this case, and I am now spinning my wheels on how to code it. Any help you can give me on a CPT/ modifier for this is greatly appreciated.

I thought about 36556-53, however, this was performed in the pre-op holding area, not the place where the procedure was to be performed.

I also thought about 76937, but it is an add-on code.

Thank you for helping!!!

Which part of the body area was it intended?
What type of Dopller done? whcih mode / color image? Was it doppler/ duplex/ or doppler duplex system used?
Check with Noninvasive vascular Diagnostic Studies 938xx- 939xx series and look which one would fix your coding.
Was there any qualifying diagnostic US done along prior to Doppler?
I feel it does not qualify for 3655x series since the insertion was not carried out/ nor the neelde placement.

There can be only a Secondary VCode

I do not believe you can code the VAD with a -53 unless they were already prepped and on the table.
If your doctor actually interpreted the Doppler you can code for that with a 26 modifier.

Doppler study of left subclavian vein, left internal jugular vein, right subclavian, basilic, and axillary veins.

Hi check whether 93965 would merit for primary procedure.
I can not comment on VAD coding whether merits for.
But with this as primary I believe you could add the add on code 76937
Some one up there who is an expert in this billing experience, would you come for the rescue for Dawn lamb please?!!
I am just trying to give a suggestion only