Wiki Hepatitis B injection

Nephrology

Best answers
Good Morning

We are a Nephrology office and our physicians are thinking of giving Hepatitis B injection in the office, but the research I have found does not indicate to me that Medicare will pay for these unless pt meet certain critiera. Has any Nephrologist office billed for Hepatitis B or can anyone help me with this question

Can we bill Medicare for the Hepatitis B injection

thank you
Caroline

This is taken directly from the CMS website. Here's the link if you'd like to print the document.
file:///C:/Users/JENNA~1.NOR/AppData/Local/Temp/Vaccines-Part-D-Factsheet-ICN908764-1.pdf

Medicare Part B covers the following immunizations:
● Hepatitis B vaccine (for patients at high or intermediate risk)
● Influenza virus vaccine ● Pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine
● Vaccines directly related to treatment of an injury or direct exposure to a disease or condition

Example of a Part B Vaccine Covered By Part D Medicare Part B covers the hepatitis B vaccine for patients at intermediate or high risk. A patient who does not satisfy Part B coverage criteria could still get the vaccine, with potential payment from a Part D plan. Contact your patient’s Part D plan for more information.

** In order to get the Hep B vaccine covered by Medicare part B, the patient must be at immediate or high risk. Otherwise, I would direct the patient to the pharmacy to see if the vaccine is covered under their part D plan (that is, if the patient has part D coverage). If they do and the vaccine is covered, the pharmacist can administer it & they do the billing on their end.

This is taken directly from the CMS website. Here's the link if you'd like to print the document.
file:///C:/Users/JENNA~1.NOR/AppData/Local/Temp/Vaccines-Part-D-Factsheet-ICN908764-1.pdf

Medicare Part B covers the following immunizations:
● Hepatitis B vaccine (for patients at high or intermediate risk)
● Influenza virus vaccine ● Pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine
● Vaccines directly related to treatment of an injury or direct exposure to a disease or condition

Example of a Part B Vaccine Covered By Part D Medicare Part B covers the hepatitis B vaccine for patients at intermediate or high risk. A patient who does not satisfy Part B coverage criteria could still get the vaccine, with potential payment from a Part D plan. Contact your patient’s Part D plan for more information.

** In order to get the Hep B vaccine covered by Medicare part B, the patient must be at immediate or high risk. Otherwise, I would direct the patient to the pharmacy to see if the vaccine is covered under their part D plan (that is, if the patient has part D coverage). If they do and the vaccine is covered, the pharmacist can administer it & they do the billing on their end.

thank you