• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

high risk elderly and high risk young pregnancy

adweaver

Contributor
Best answers
I am billing for many high risk elderly (35 and over) and young (<16) pregnancies. I am wondering when it is appropriate to use v23.8- series compared to when to use the 659.6- and 659.8- series. I code patients in Maternal Fetal Medicine as well as regular OB/GYN.

amjordan

True Blue
Best answers
ICD-9 Coding Guidelines - Chapter Specific Guidelines - Ch 11 - Complications of Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium (630-677)

Chapter 11: Complications of Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium (630-679)

b. Selection of OB Principal or First-listed Diagnosis

2. Prenatal outpatient visits for high-risk patients
For routine prenatal outpatient visits for patients with high-risk pregnancies, a code from category V23, Supervision of high-risk pregnancy, should be used as the first-listed diagnosis. Secondary chapter 11 codes may be used in conjunction with these codes if appropriate.​