Wiki How do I bill claims when one of our providers is out of the office

Rbilling

Best answers
I have two questions.
Here is a brief background, I work for a pain management office in FL, we have 2 doctors, 2 ARNP's and 1 PA. All of our claims have to go out under one of the two doctors and the other physicians are incident to the Dr.

My first question is when one of the two doctors is out of town do we need to bill all the patients under the Dr that is in the office signing the RX or would we still bill under the provider that would normally see the patient?

Second question, We also have to offices in two different counties, If Dr A's patients are seeing the ARNP in one county while he is seeing patients in the other county can we still bill all the claims under Dr A or would we have to bill under the Dr that is in the same office as the patient ?

Last edited:
For Medicare, if a physician in your practice is not physically present in the office when the non-physician practitioner is seeing the patient, the services need to be billed under the non-physician practitioner's name & NPI. One of the Medicare incident-to rules is that there is a physician providing direct supervision - physically present in the office suite at the time of the visit as well as no new patients or no new problems.