• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

How do you determine if an assistant is allowed?

Best answers
I know CMS has guidelines which state if an assist is allowed, sometimes allowed or not allowed. Is there another source I can use for my physicians who say "This isn't a medicare patient so bill an assistant." 95% of the time the assist is denied and we have to file a pointless appeal.

If you know of a resource other than CMS, please let me know.

I look forward to seeing everyone in Long Beach.

Treetoad

Expert
Best answers
If you have your RVU file from the Federal Register, you should look at column AA. If you see a number 2 listed in this column, an assistant is allowed.

molivier

Networker
Best answers
Assist Guidelines

Hello!

Most Insurance companies follow NCCI guidelines on Assists. They also publish the policy. I would call your provider rep if you can't find it on thier webiste.

Hope that helps :)

Michele

rbeaver

Networker
Best answers
Good Morning

Just to let you know where I work we use Encoder Pro and it is a wonderful tool for coders. Not only does it list if an assistant can be use with a cpt code, it also gives rules and regulations from medicare and other helpful hints with your coding.