Wiki How should the pediatric COVID-19 vaccine be coded when the child turns 12 before the 2nd dose is given?

Best answers
The fact sheet for healthcare providers indicates that, "Notwithstanding the age limitations for use of the different formulations and presentations described above, individuals who will turn from 11 years to 12 years of age between their first and second dose in the primary regimen may receive, for either dose, either: (1) the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine formulation authorized for use in individuals 5 through 11 years of age (each 0.2 mL dose containing 10 mcg modRNA) (orange cap); or (2) COMIRNATY or one of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine formulations authorized for use in individuals 12 years of age and older (each 0.3 mL dose containing 30 mcg modRNA) (gray and purple cap)."

If the 12 year old child child receives the adult dose of the COVID-19 vaccine for their 2nd dose; is it correct to code the 2nd dose with CPT code 91300 and code 0002A for the administration of the 2nd dose?

The first dose given when the child is still 11 would be coded with the new codes CPT 91307 and 0071A.

Thank you for your input. I have searched Google and nothing is coming up since this is a very new scenario.

Karen Brautcheck

This is new for everyone, It make more sense to me when first dose 5-11 bill admin code 0071A , the second dose when the patient turns 12y bill 0001A, it just because the strength changes from 02.ml to 0.3ml.
By the way, is your office accept Medicaid ? I am wonder if this covid vaccine is for everyone who carries Medicaid, for an example, people can go to a different state for covid vaccine as long as they have Medicaid?