• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

How would you Audit this?

Ivonne C.

Networker
Best answers
I am needing help with medicare preventative services. I understand that Medicare covers a "welcome to medicare" physical. and they are also covering a physical every 2 years (w/high risk being covered yearly??), and now with the healthcare reform as of Jan. 2011 they will cover them yearly. Until then lets say a pt comes into the office for an "Annual" visit when medicare is not going to cover the visit, how would you code that? here is an example visit:
HT: 5'0''
WT: 119
BP: 160/92
Allergy: NKDA
CC: Annual
HPI: 69 yo P2 PM no bleeding, no D/C

History:
Last Mammo: 2/2010
Last Exam: 2/3/09
Last Colonoscopy: 2008
Last bone density: 11/18/08

Exam:

HEENT: NL
NECK: NL
Breast: Sym
ABD: Soft, NT
EXT:
Atrophic
VAG:
UT: AV, NT
CX,AD: no masses
Rectal: no masses

Hematest (-)
Labs:
UA: (-)

Assess and Plan:
SBE/ year
BMD
Fosamax 70mg
Gen Cx

Codes billed:
G0328-GW

ICD:

anseanair

Best answers
preventive medicine service

an "annual" physical is an "annual" physical and is coded dependent on the age of the pt., etc. If a provider codes it as an office visit, it's fraud. Some providers, in the past, have done that so the pt. has no charges. I don't see any reason to give a Medicare pt. an annual physical. Typically, they have so many problems that they're being seen on a regular basis anyway. An "annual" visit is a waste of time and money.

Ivonne C.

Networker
Best answers
Thank you, I was wondering the same thing about the E/M visit. the pt signed an ABN so the pt was fully aware that the "physical" might not be covered. with the CC stating Annual and no other HPI I will relay my findings.

Ivonne :)