• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

HTN or HTN with heart disease

babyred72

New
Best answers
Good morning.
A patient is diagnosed with hypertensive heart disease w/o heart failure. There is no diseases relating to heart disease stated. Should the code be changed to just HTN? I am in a remote coding environment and I am coding health risk assessments.

Thank you for your input.

LilMissCoder

Contributor
Best answers
I think you should query the provider before you change the code to anything.

That being said, I code for an ACO and we often query our providers on Hypertensive heart disease w/ or w/o heart failure if we find that the pt has HTN and had an echo with findings of LVH w/ an Ejection Fraction under 60. There may be findings that your provider is taking into consideration when choosing the code that you are not seeing.