Wiki Hypertensive Crisis Dx Code?

jenp0913

Best answers
Can anyone tell me if I should use the code for Malignant hypertension 401.0 or Hypertension unspecified 401.9 when the chart indicates "Hypertensive Crisis"? Patient's primary dx was for carotid dissection.

Thank you!

The correct coding for "Hypertensive crisis" is 401.9. Also, I found some additional information that may come in handy for those that need clarification in the future.

***Hypertension with no identifiable cause is called essential or primary hypertension and is the most common type of hypertension. Secondary hypertension is hypertension resulting from an underlying condition. Hypertension not otherwise specified is assigned to ICD-9-CM code 401.9. A mild, nonmalignant form of hypertension is termed benign hypertension (401.1). Malignant hypertension (also documented as accelerated hypertension) is a severe life-threatening form of hypertension with a diastolic pressure measuring above 120 millimeters of mercury and is classified to code 401.0.

A code for benign or malignant hypertension should not be assigned unless the physician documents the specific type in the body of the medical record. Documentation of hypertensive crisis or uncontrolled hypertension is not indicative of malignant hypertension. Without further clarification, assign code 401.9 for a diagnosis of hypertensive crisis or uncontrolled hypertension.***

Hope this is of help to you! :D

If the pt has a hypertensive crisis / emergency but also CKD, would 403.90 cover the crisis / emergency, as well?

Thanks!