Wiki I have my CPC-A. I now want my CPB. Is this redundant?

pke1991

Contributor
Best answers
In my area, I see a lot of medical billing positions. More than coding. I now landed a medical billing job which I start Monday. I graduated from a medical billing and coding program but it was very coding heavy, not so much billing. I feel like CPB would complement my CPC, as well as make me more marketable for future billing positions.

CPB is also one of those certifications I never see anyone have. Is there a point to getting it when you can learn on the job? And will I get paid more for having two certifications?

Thank you.

Congrats on the job!!!

The certificate is not really redundant to CPC, but you also may not need it for other reasons. Before you make a decision about obtaining this cert, you should ask your employer (when you are comfortable) or read the employee manual really well for these:

1. Will you get paid more with this certificate, or two of any certificates--some employers yes, others no.

2. Will they help offset the cost of obtaining/maintaining this certificate, ie courses, books, CEUs, and renewals. There are more CEUs needed the more certificates you have; however, I believe the renewal fees are the same regardless.

3. Will this certificate help you advance, as opposed to only the CPC, within the company.

I would also use indeed and Linkedin to check your area for openings with this certificate or do they just hire for this title without the need of a certificate.

In my area, I see a lot of medical billing positions. More than coding. I now landed a medical billing job which I start Monday. I graduated from a medical billing and coding program but it was very coding heavy, not so much billing. I feel like CPB would complement my CPC, as well as make me more marketable for future billing positions.

CPB is also one of those certifications I never see anyone have. Is there a point to getting it when you can learn on the job? And will I get paid more for having two certifications?

Thank you.

Hi,

Certifications always carry a certain value, particularly in competitive fields like RCM. Having a CPC makes you someone who knows about coding but doesn't portray your billing expertise to your employer. Holding both CPC & CPB in reality makes you a complete Revenue Cycle Management (RCM) champ, as your skills are now not limited to medical coding only.

Also take this scenario into consideration where you are an employer interviewing two candidates with same experience and same expertise in medical billing but one of them holding a CPB certification, whom would you hire ???

In addition, your certification carries more weightage than your words in persuading your employer that you know medical billing.

By the way, I hold both CPC & CPB. In case, you require help in preparation for your CPB exam, do e-mail me at rajinder_dhammi@yahoo.com. I give free trainings on weekends. Mail me for further details.

Thank you,
Rajinder Singh Dhammi, CPC, CPB