• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

ICD-9 code for "retained hardware"

klbecker

Networker
Best answers
I am looking for an ICD-9 code for "retained hardware". The patient has had and ACL graft, it is for the screws from the graft into the bone.

Trendale

Guru
Best answers
Reply Retained hardware

I usually used a complication code. My physician retaines the hardware when his patients is having a complication, such as an internal implant orthopedic device (996.49) There is a wide range of complication codes that pertains to the specific condition. I hope this helps!:)

mbort

True Blue
Best answers
If the hardware removal is planned, then the appropriate code would be
V54.01. If the removal is due to a complication then you would resort to the 996.XX codes.

trose45116

Expert
Best answers
That is correct V54.01 is correct. I would use this code as the secondary code and the reason code for the primary code as to why the patient has the hardware...ex fracture.