ICD-9 help - code lipodematosclerosis

dballard2004

True Blue
Best answers
I agree! I can't find this in the dictionary or ICD-9 book either. I would check the spelling, then maybe we can find the correct code. Have a great day!:)

heathergirl

Networker
Best answers
Lipodermatosclerosis

Yes, this is the correct spellin. I could not find it in the dictiondary either, but I could find it online. It is the same thing as sclerosis, but fat is involed. I figured that it was a new dx or something, but I could not find any info on that. Is there a Dermatologist that could give on some insight on this dx. Thanks!

janetmoh

Best answers
It looks like it is caused by chronic venous insufficiency. When you look that up (459.8)the tabular tells you to use additional codes for any associated ulceration 707.10 - 707.9

heathergirl

Networker
Best answers
Thanks

Thank you so much for taking the time to research and respond.

Heather D Unklesbay, CPC,MA
Office Manager

Last edited:

Eve

Networker
Best answers
Eve

I may be off base here but there is a dermatosclerosis in the ICD-9, with the code 710.1, with see also scleroderma

eandmcoder

Best answers
lipodermatosclerosis, aka panniculitis

Here's what I came up with--729.3_, which matched what one of my providers used.

Panniculitis, unspecified [aka lipodermatosclerosis] 729.3_
> 729.30 Panniculitis, unspecified site
> 729.31 Hypertrophy of fat pad, knee
> 729.39 Panniculitis, other site

Lipodermatosclerosis is one of the "complications of chronic venous insufficiency" (Clinical Policy Bulletin: Compression Garments for the Legs)

LIPODERMATOSCLEROSIS / PANNICULITIS
Category: fat disorder / Metabolic disorders
Body Site: leg Age: 65 years
Contributor: Margaret Moresi, MD

Description: At higher magnification, distinct lipomembranous changes can be appreciated as a feathery, eosinophilic lining to the thickened wall of the microcysts within the subcutaneous fat.
Comments: This condition is commonly associated with vascular insufficiency, especially stasis changes. A frequent clinical presentation is an "apple-core" or "inverted champagne bottle" appearance to the lower legs. The differential diagnosis would include other forms of mixed septal and lobular panniculitis, including factitial etiologies.

rxwhit

New
Best answers
Lipodermatosclerosis verses Panniculitis

Hello Fellow Coders,

If there is anyone out there that works for a dermatology or vascular please query your provider and ask if lipodermatosclerosis is the same as panniculitis.The last information that was posted on the AAPC forum was from 2007 and I would like something more recent.

Based on my research I have narrowed the code select down to he following:

#1 729.39 Panniculitis other site (above ankle) because that is the site occurrence for lipodermatosclerosis

#2 701.0 Scleroderma, circumscribed or locallized

#3 710.1Scleroderma

Thanks, Renee :confused: