Wiki Incident To Question

LizM01

Best answers
I work in a Primary care office with 13 providers and 3 nurse practitioners. I'm new to billing and am questioning the office's methods for billing Incident To.

I understant that incident-to services must be furnished under a physician's direct supervision, does that physician have to be the physician that set up the care plan, or can it me another physician within the same practice? I have been doing some research and have come across the following information.

During subsequent visits, a physician member of the practice must be physically present in the office suite while the non physician employee renders service to the patient.

Can anyone please clarify?

Here is some nice information from MLN Matters SE0441: "You do not have to be physically present in the treatment room while the service is being provided, but you must be present in the immediate office suite to render assistance if needed. If you are a solo practitioner, you must directly supervise the care. If you are in a group, any physician member of the group may be present in the office to supervise.

See http://www.cms.gov/MLNMattersArticles/downloads/SE0441.pdf