infant weight check up

dbut

Best answers
What would be the proper ICD-9 code to use for a checkup on an infant's weight progression as the only diagnosis?

lmjd

Networker
Best answers
I am going to guess that the child is underweight-so we code with the documented E&M level and DX: 783.22. Hope this helps-

pamtienter

Expert
NAB Member
Best answers
Most of what we see are for failure to thrive 783.41, feeding difficulties 779.3, or low birth weight (a few different code options). If it is just a weight check, it's not something we bill for.

Best answers
Infant Weight and Color Check

I asked my boss about this, who as been coding for MANY years and she said that the best code to use would be V20.31

Best answers
More information regarding the infant's age, reason for the weight check, and the service provided would be necessary to answer this. For a newborn seen by a physician or other qualified health care professional within a few days of hospital discharge, this may be the first of recommended preventive services following the hospital discharge with a focus on the infant's feeding and weight, check for signs of jaundice, review of how the mother's adapting to the new baby, and provision anticipatory guidance. If this is follow-up to a feeding problem that still exists, diagnoses previously mentioned may apply or if follow-up indicates there is no longer a problem, a follow-up exam may be reported with code V67.59. If the newborn was seen because a problem was suspected but ruled out at this encounter, codes from category V29 may be applicable.