Wiki Inguinal scar excision- Please help!

JenReyn99

Guru
Best answers
I cannot figure this one out, I keep going back and forth, so any help is appreciated. Here's the note:

Name of Operation:
1. Lysis of painful scar, right groin.

An incision was made reopening the old scar. Scar tissue from two incisions were both lysed completely surrounding the cord preserving the cord. The scar tissue was dense at the site where the pain has been noted prior to surgery. The wound was then approximated with Vicryl and staples approximated the skin. Marcaine was infiltrated in the wound for postoperative pain control.

*I know that some of you will probably say that I need to send this back for better documentation, but with this doctor, this is all we will get. So I have to code from this, and I'm not sure what code to use. So please don't advise me to send back for clarification, because I can't get it. Thanks! :0)

I cannot figure this one out, I keep going back and forth, so any help is appreciated. Here's the note:

Name of Operation:
1. Lysis of painful scar, right groin.

An incision was made reopening the old scar. Scar tissue from two incisions were both lysed completely surrounding the cord preserving the cord. The scar tissue was dense at the site where the pain has been noted prior to surgery. The wound was then approximated with Vicryl and staples approximated the skin. Marcaine was infiltrated in the wound for postoperative pain control.

*I know that some of you will probably say that I need to send this back for better documentation, but with this doctor, this is all we will get. So I have to code from this, and I'm not sure what code to use. So please don't advise me to send back for clarification, because I can't get it. Thanks! :0)

This is considered a repair and falls in the 13100-13102 series, but you will need to know the length of the repair. The definition of a complex repair includes scar revision.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too, but I don't usually code these, so I didn't want to just go with what I was leaning towards. Thanks for the help!