Wiki Injection-Keloid Scar

dballard2004

True Blue
Best answers
My provider administered a steriod injection into a keloid scar to try to make it go away. My question is, what CPT code do you use to report this? Do you report 96372 for the injection and the J code for the medication, or is there a specific CPT code for this type of injection?

Thanks. :confused:

We bill 64999 for the injection into the scar. Refer to CPT Assistant Sept. 2010 vol. 20, issue 9. We also bill for the administration and medication uses.

Alicia, CPc

Keloid - Scar Injection

The use of the unlisted procedure code (64999) will raise eyebrows; especially if you don't have a charge associated with that particular code. Make sure you have a charge linked to 64999 or it won't get paid. I feel 96372 (along with the J-codes) is appropriate enough for proper charge capture and reimbursement, but as Alicia suggests, forwarding notes is also an important consideration for reimbursement of 64999 if used.

What does the community say?

Thanks,
Andre, CPC

We bill 64999 for the injection into the scar. Refer to CPT Assistant Sept. 2010 vol. 20, issue 9. We also bill for the administration and medication uses.

Alicia, CPc

That CPT Assistant pertained to injection of a PAINFUL scar to control the pain--hence the 6X,XXX-series code.

For injection of steroid into a keloid to dissolve the scar, CPT Assistant says to use 11900 as an above poster noted.

From the September 1996 CPT Assistant, p. 5:

Lesions of the integumentary system, such as keloids, psoriasis, acne (cystic or nodular), and others may be treated by injecting drugs directly into the lesion itself. To report the treatment of these lesions you would use the following codes:

11900Injection, intralesional; up to and including seven lesions
11901more than seven lesions

My Q- He was prepped and draped in the usual sterile fashion. Each of the keloid was removed from the ear. The wounds were closed primarily. Intralesional injection of Kenalog, 10 mL was performed. The procedure was terminated. The patient will now begin pressure clip therapy and additional Kenalog injection.. My doubt is shall we bill both 11411 with 11900, based on NCCI getting edit to 11900 so can we over ride the edit with 59 mod or 11441 is enough ?

Thanks advance

Can the 11900 be billed for non-keloid scars? This is a sx scar where a malignant lesion was removed from the face. I'm assuming it is for cosmetic purposes as there is no mention of keloid or pain.

I have always used the 11900 for intralesional injections to a scar.

A recent scenario I've come across is the injection to the scar being done during a 90-day global period. My question here is, would this be included in the global surgery package and considered a complication or is it billable with modifier -58 as a separate or related procedure during the global period?