• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

inpatient psychiatric facility guidance

esexton

New
Best answers
Hey there! I am currently(for 2 months) a coding associate in an inpatient psychiatric hospital. The facility is the only one in my state that actually uses certified coders and has only been doing so for around 4 years at most. Unfortunately, there is very limited information on correct coding for inpatient psychiatric. I am having a very difficult time finding a good instructional template for E/M coding initial/subsequent hospital care. The ones that i have seen are geared toward regular inpatient hospital care with the guidance offered only pertaining to physical illnesses. The coding lead unfortunately has only been a practicing coder for 3-4 years with this facility being the only coding experience. My previous coding experience was in a large outpatient clinic/provider office base. I would greatly appreciate any guidance available or a point in the best direction to locate resources to ensure that i am practicing correct coding. Thanks in advance for any advice

ckeeney

Networker
Best answers
For inpatient/outpatient psychiatric E/M coding, use the 1997 Documentation Guidelines specialty template for determining levels for each component. Then use the CPT code guidelines for service level. There is a lot of information on the American Psychiatric Association and the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry websites as well as MLN documents from CMS. Check your state Medicaid guidelines for their specific rules.

esexton

New
Best answers
thanks

Thank you for the info. Without a more knowledgeable lead it has been very difficult to get a handle on making sure i am choosing the correct e/m code. And it'd be great to stumble on a really good documentation template to get the drs in line with proper documentation that would greatly assist with choosing correct codes also.