Wiki 'Intensive Drug Monitoring'

AmandaW

Guru
Best answers
Hey all,

I'm trying to get a clear definition of 'Drug therapy requiring INTENSIVE MONITORING' to toxicity on the Risk Table.
Google has confused me further.
I'm trying to decipher when it would be in that category verses 'prescription drug management' in the moderate.

An example I have that one of my Drs brought up to me is a drug called Noctiva which treats Nocturia.
One of the main side effects is hyponatremia which CAN be life-threatening. So he will need to closely monitor the patients sodium levels.

But my question is what exactly is 'intensive monitoring for toxicity'. The internet definitely points me to when the patient is in the hospital and getting IV medications of controlled substances and such that might need to be titrated, but does this also apply to clinically monitoring? I think I read that this drug recommends checking sodium levels bi weekly or monthly.

I see that Gentamicin is on a list of requiring intensive monitoring for toxicity. We give this often for UTI's. So, if the patient has a UTI and we give them this injection (I know I still need 2 out of 3 in MDM), but I can put it in the high spot on the risk table??