Wiki Is it better to go ahead and take the CPC online exam or wait until 12/5 when I can have Practicode finished?

carmeenae

New
Best answers
I'm taking practice exams, working through Practicode and have an in-person exam scheduled for 12/5. I'm a perfectionist so my goal is to pass above 90%, but I'm starting to question whether that's ridiculous and I might be better off to just take the exam because (based on my practice tests and CPC exam review course), I "should" be able to pass if I schedule it sooner.

Here's my question: is it better to pass and be CPC-A, or is it better to wait until I can pass with (hopefully) a higher score and no -A?

I've had some recruiters contact me and I'm starting to wonder if CPC-A is better than not being certified at all. I'm trying to not let my perfectionism get the best of me, because the voice in my head keeps saying I only have one chance to meet my goal of passing with a higher score, which makes me want to wait. However, the realist in me is starting to think passing is passing... does it even matter if your score is above 70%, or does your certification list your actual score (which makes me think CPC-A with a high score might be worth the wait).

I passed the exam in 2003 and Practicode was not even firing a synapse at the time. The two kind of have opposing goals. If you can apply the coding instructions given in all sections of the CPC and are doing well with the practice exam, take the test, get your CPC and worry about the Practicode afterwards. No one will care if you passed the exam 90% or better, they only care you have your CPC. So get it. I have helped train newly hired CPC-A's over the years. I tell them, now it's time to code in the real world. The CPC exam sees if you can apply the coding instructions given. Now you have to apply those, and deal with real life documentation. I tell the new hires that they are almost starting at zero again. Passing the CPC is a big deal, but we all start at the beginning when it comes to actual coding. The documentation is not always going to be perfect and complete. Get ready to tell a doctor that they missed something in their documentation, it's going to happen. Be prepared to ask a doctor a very dumb question and be embarrassed by it, it's going to happen. By all means get your CPC-A because there is an entire new coding world waiting for you on the other side.

I passed the exam in 2003 and Practicode was not even firing a synapse at the time. The two kind of have opposing goals. If you can apply the coding instructions given in all sections of the CPC and are doing well with the practice exam, take the test, get your CPC and worry about the Practicode afterwards. No one will care if you passed the exam 90% or better, they only care you have your CPC. So get it. I have helped train newly hired CPC-A's over the years. I tell them, now it's time to code in the real world. The CPC exam sees if you can apply the coding instructions given. Now you have to apply those, and deal with real life documentation. I tell the new hires that they are almost starting at zero again. Passing the CPC is a big deal, but we all start at the beginning when it comes to actual coding. The documentation is not always going to be perfect and complete. Get ready to tell a doctor that they missed something in their documentation, it's going to happen. Be prepared to ask a doctor a very dumb question and be embarrassed by it, it's going to happen. By all means get your CPC-A because there is an entire new coding world waiting for you on the other side.
Thank you! I wasn't sure if your score was visible when your certification was verified or if it's on your certificate. I appreciate your time to clarify, and I'm looking forward to actually getting started in the real world.

I'm glad I read this because I'm nervous about applying what I know to the Practicode and real life. Now that I said that, I should mention that I'm not certified yet but working towards it.

I passed the CPC-A on 3rd attempt with pretty good score. My question is how challenging is Practicode compare to the CPC-A test. I feel this takes lot of time and since I also have to work full time. Just not being able to decide when should I begin the practicode practice.