• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We’re introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Ivus - billing 92978 to Medicare

Best answers
I am still having difficultity billing 92978 to Medicare. I have billed 3 different ways
92978-LM
92978-26
92978-26-59 I have been denied all 3 times, does anyone have the correct way to bill the. I never had a problem untill this year Thanks Nancy

Best answers
I tried billing the IVUS with the anatomical modifiers last year because I thought it would be appropriate for them to know which vessel it was performed in, but they denied though as an inappropriate modifier. -59 isn't appropriate since its an add-on code. 92978-26 is correct....I'm assuming you are billing it with a primary code like the diagnostic cath or intervention because it can't billed by itself

Misty Dawn

Guru
Best answers
I am still having difficultity billing 92978 to Medicare. I have billed 3 different ways
92978-LM
92978-26
92978-26-59 I have been denied all 3 times, does anyone have the correct way to bill the. I never had a problem untill this year Thanks Nancy
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, use 92978 one time for intial vessel and then 92979 for any additional vessles.

92979-59

From 2013 CPT reference guide: Add on code 92979 is used to report the ultrasound procedure on each additional coronary artery when more than one coronary artery is evaluated with intravascular ultrasound as part of a diagonstic or therapeutic procedure....

rpeterson

Contributor
Best answers
Ivus

Keep in mind that the IVUS code is not payable for additional vessel codes.

Robin Peterson, CPC
University Physicians Inc
QCAE Department