• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Lab billing - QW and CLIA Certificates?

AMitchell

New
Best answers
If our lab is certified with a Certificate of Compliance (COC) or Certificate of Accreditation (COA) do we need to use the QW when billing CLIA-waved tests?

I can't find a clear answer on this, but have read on other sites and in industry-specific newsletters that you only need the QW modifier (meaning the tests does not require a higher level CLIA certification) if you have a CLIA Waiver on file. If you have a high level certification like a COC or COA, then you wouldn't need the the QW as you are accredited to perform any level of test and you don't need a waiver on file.

That said, I'm having a terrible time finding an authoritative source that clearly answers this question. I know our Medicare is denying without the QW, but am still not sure we should be putting it on since we aren't working under a waiver, but under a COA.

Any lab billing experts out there?
Thanks! :confused:

ChrissyMiodrag

Contributor
Best answers
Are you finding if you use the QW on a waived test even though you are a higher level lab, that your claims pay or are they denying?

I am looking for the same information and having trouble finding a clear answer as well.

Thanks
Chrissy