Wiki Laparoscopic LEFT salpingectomy for ectopic and removal of RIGHT paratubal cyst

Mar31

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

I am a bit confused on if I need to add another code for the removal of a RIGHT paratubal cyst when done at the same time as a laparoscopic LEFT salpingectomy for an ectopic pregnancy (59151). Would the removal of the right paratubal cyst be included in this code?

Thank you :)

I would code this as both 59151 and 58662
59151 Laparoscopic treatment of ectopic pregnancy; with salpingectomy and/or oophorectomy
58662 Laparoscopy, surgical; with fulguration or excision of lesions of the ovary, pelvic viscera, or peritoneal surface by any method
They are not NCCI edits, so no modifier should be required. I would ensure each code is linked to only the appropriate diagnosis.
If the cyst was attached to the tube already being removed, it would not be coded separately.

I would code this as both 59151 and 58662
59151 Laparoscopic treatment of ectopic pregnancy; with salpingectomy and/or oophorectomy
58662 Laparoscopy, surgical; with fulguration or excision of lesions of the ovary, pelvic viscera, or peritoneal surface by any method
They are not NCCI edits, so no modifier should be required. I would ensure each code is linked to only the appropriate diagnosis.
If the cyst was attached to the tube already being removed, it would not be coded separately.
Thank you! I was unsure if I could use the 58662 with this.

Hello,

I am a bit confused on if I need to add another code for the removal of a RIGHT paratubal cyst when done at the same time as a laparoscopic LEFT salpingectomy for an ectopic pregnancy (59151). Would the removal of the right paratubal cyst be included in this code?

Thank you :)
Since they did the salpingectomy using a laparoscope, and not an open abdominal incision, you cannot report 59151. Instead you will use 58661 for the salpingectomy (with appropriate O code for the ectopic) and 58662 for the removal of the cyst.

Since they did the salpingectomy using a laparoscope, and not an open abdominal incision, you cannot report 59151. Instead you will use 58661 for the salpingectomy (with appropriate O code for the ectopic) and 58662 for the removal of the cyst.
OK, now I'm confused.
I don't understand why that would not be the correct code for laparoscopic left salpingectomy for an ectopic pregnancy and to use 58661 instead.

OK, now I'm confused.
I don't understand why that would not be the correct code for laparoscopic left salpingectomy for an ectopic pregnancy and to use 58661 instead.
My bad!!! Yes 59151 is correct and my head cold is affecting my brain. I should know better than to answer questions when I am not 100%.