• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Lateral Position

Jarant

Best answers
I Am New At Coding For Anesthesia. I Had An Anesthesiologist Say A Patient Was In A Lateral Position. Is Their A Modifier Or A Code I Need To Use For The Lateral Position.

Thanks,
Jenny

poonamsawant

Networker
Best answers
Hi,

I think u neither have to append any modifier nor need to code the position seperately.

Regards,
Dr. poonam

jdrueppel

Expert
Best answers
If the base unit value of your anesthesia code is 5 or more, the lateral position is already considered in this code. If the code is less than 5 units you can append the -22 modifier (or if you have a contract with this payer whatever is specified by that contract) & increase your base units to 5 plus any modifying units. You will need to send medical rationale with the claim. NOTE: Some payers do not pay additional units for position.

Julie, CPC

Best answers
I Am New At Coding For Anesthesia. I Had An Anesthesiologist Say A Patient Was In A Lateral Position. Is Their A Modifier Or A Code I Need To Use For The Lateral Position.

Thanks,
Jenny
Hi,
Lateral positioned patients are mostly elderly-
For the sake of hypertension sometimes they are asked to adjust this way-
May be a 99100 added on, if pt. age is above 70-
May be a P3 modifier sometimes required;
Kindly, check-