• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Level 1 E/M for New Patient same DOS as minor surgical procedure.

arozance27

Contributor
Best answers
A provider states that a 99201 is always billable for a new patient when presenting for a minor surgical procedure to account for the extra work performed because they are new to the practice. I believe based on CMS info, that unless there is a separate problem unrelated to the surgical procedure, a separate 99201 is not supported. Am I missing anything regarding work performed for new patients?

CatchTheWind

True Blue
Best answers
The provider is wrong. There has to be a "significant and separately identifiable" E/M service in order to bill, even for a new patient. (Sorry that I don't have the source at hand, but I know I've seen this in CMS documents.)

CodingKing

True Blue
Best answers
NCCI Manual states:

If a procedure has a global period of 000 or 010 days, it is defined as a minor surgical procedure. (Osteopathic manipulative therapy and chiropractic manipulative therapy have global periods of 000.) In general E&M services on the same date of service as the minor surgical procedure are included in the payment for the procedure. The decision to perform a minor surgical procedure is included in the payment for the minor surgical procedure and should not be reported separately as an E&M service. However, a significant and separately identifiable E&M service unrelated to the decision to perform the minor surgical procedure is separately reportable with modifier 25. The E&M service and minor surgical procedure do not require different diagnoses. If a minor surgical procedure is performed on a new patient, the same rules for reporting E&M services apply. The fact that the patient is “new” to the provider is not sufficient alone to justify reporting an E&M service on the same date of service as a minor surgical procedure.