• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Loop recorder implant then explant??

cvand1972

Guru
Best answers
Have any of you run in to this?
Patient had Loop recorder implanted on 11/25/09. Then, they decide to remove it on 2/5/10. Our local Medicare is denying the explant for being inclusive in the implant procedure. Trying to figure out what modifier we can use, if any.

cvand1972

Guru
Best answers
I'm thinking 78.
The MD decided she wasn't having any syncopal episodes so decided to remove it. I guess that could be 'unplanned', right?

deeva456

Expert
Best answers
I agree with you, try using modifier 78. I'm surprised the removal was denied, Medicare usually will pay.

Dolores, CPC-CCC