Wiki Mandible Fracture

lkoch829

Best answers
Does anyone have documentation on whether one can bill for arch bar removal following a mandible fracture repair? We used code 21470.

Thank you.

I work in OMS so we do a lot of mandibular fractures. In our practice, we use code 20694 for arch bar removal when code 21470 is used for repair. Unlike code 21110, 21470 does not include removal of arch bar. However, different insurances have different policies and you have to remember the global post-op period, but I can't recall having any difficulty getting this paid by any particular insurer (except maybe Medicaid, but that is a whole other story!:rolleyes: ). I'd say give it a try. The silly thing has to come out anyway and maybe you can get a little extra money for doing it!

Good Luck!
Jennifer, CPC

Thank you! However we don't use general anesthesia to remove the arch bars, so I can't use 20694. Do you ever run into a situation where your practice will remove them without using anesthesia (rough as that may be)?

Sorry! I checked with another lady here who has been working in this field much longer and she says our doctors never remove the arch bar without general anesthesia. Of course, being OMS doctors, they are also certified to do GA and we have the equipment in our office to do this, so that makes sense to me. Hopefully someone else might have a solution for you then I can also know what to do should the same situation ever arise here.

Jennifer, CPC