Wiki MDM (level of risk) and Blood Transfusions

Subject to interpretation

I have never found any "official" documentation on this - but I would place it in the moderate risk level as a minor procedure with identified risk factors.

I tend to disagree. There are significant risks associated with blood transfusions. I'd list it as high risk. I have a grid (can't remember where I got it from) that gives a more detailed listing of "risks" and blood transfusions is listed as high. I'd be happy to forward it to you if you'd like. Just supply me with an email address. Also, Palmetto MAC, I believe came out with an updated more detailed grid for " drug therapy/risks". It can be used as a guide.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Before this turns into one of those long threads where everyone lists their emails and asks you to send them a copy, I would prefer if everyone could just send Tony a private message requesting a copy, and be sure to include the best email for him to reach you at.

Here is what I was able to find:

-Palmetto GBA article on Management Options: Drug Therapy Requiring Intensive Monitoring for Toxicity
-Palmetto GBA article detailing the Medical Decision Making Component

If I can find the article Tony is referring to, I'll link to it directly. I hope this helps.

Ditto, Mike. My auditors are doing the happy dance. If only NHIC was so detailed.......Thanks for the article.

I tend to disagree. There are significant risks associated with blood transfusions. I'd list it as high risk. I have a grid (can't remember where I got it from) that gives a more detailed listing of "risks" and blood transfusions is listed as high. I'd be happy to forward it to you if you'd like. Just supply me with an email address. Also, Palmetto MAC, I believe came out with an updated more detailed grid for " drug therapy/risks". It can be used as a guide.
Just my opinion.

Can you please email the detailed listing that states "transfusions"? sjfisher@sentara.com

Thank you very much:)

Table of risk?

Did anyone come up with a definitive answer to this? The articles linked did not indicate blood transfusions and where they fall on the table of risk for the MDM. And, just FYI, CMS was absolutely NO help in this either. :confused:

Transfusion

Did anyone come up with a definitive answer to this? The articles linked did not indicate blood transfusions and where they fall on the table of risk for the MDM. And, just FYI, CMS was absolutely NO help in this either. :confused:

Please let me know if anyone has the definitive answer. our physicians are stating that pt has thalassemia and here for a regular transfusion. he was monitored for toxicities. does this make this visit level 5. Thanks

Before this turns into one of those long threads where everyone lists their emails and asks you to send them a copy, I would prefer if everyone could just send Tony a private message requesting a copy, and be sure to include the best email for him to reach you at.

-Palmetto GBA article on Management Options: Drug Therapy Requiring Intensive Monitoring for Toxicity

If I can find the article Tony is referring to, I'll link to it directly. I hope this helps.

The above links are dead. Does anyone have anything that is current pertaining to blood transfusions in MDM?

The above links are dead. Does anyone have anything that is current pertaining to blood transfusions in MDM?