Wiki med refill as a cheif complaint?

pineapplelvr

Networker
Best answers
Can strictly needing your meds refilled ( No complaints,patients feels fine. problems are chronic stable) be a cheif complaint? we are having a disagreement over billing an E/M vs. Preventive care for these. I say that if they have no cheif complaint then it's prev. Others are saying that the med refill is the cheif complaint for an E/M. (because if a doc is requiring them to come in to get their meds refilled then it's not fair to code as a px?-- I say that they're required/need a px to get their meds refilled)

HELP :)

thanks in advance.

Amanda W.

Can strictly needing your meds refilled ( No complaints,patients feels fine. problems are chronic stable) be a cheif complaint? we are having a disagreement over billing an E/M vs. Preventive care for these. I say that if they have no cheif complaint then it's prev. Others are saying that the med refill is the cheif complaint for an E/M. (because if a doc is requiring them to come in to get their meds refilled then it's not fair to code as a px?-- I say that they're required/need a px to get their meds refilled)

HELP :)

thanks in advance.

Amanda W.

Yes it can be a cc... cc is what the patient is coming in for. It doesn't necessarily have to be a problem. Also just had to comment on being an E/M or a preventative. It is an E/M and definitely NOT a preventative. Why do you think they need a px to get their meds refilled? I am on a ton of meds and if I go to see my PCP for a med refill, that is what it is for.... FOR A MED REFILL NOT A PREVENTATIVE. Also, just FYI, a PREVENTATIVE is just that.... to check for something that may be going on or to catch something early.... not to manage a disease that has already been established.

Thanks for your reply eadun 2000 :)
we've been told that if problems are chronic stable this is considered part of their preventive care....so there's still no cheif complaint? preventive care can also include management of insignificant medical problems, so since they're chronic stable, they could really be insignificant?? (see article link below)

http://www.aafp.org/fpm/2004/0400/p49.html

anyone else have any thoughts?
:)

Last edited:
plus maybe more of our problem is that the doc needs to ask the patient if they're wanting a physical (what's happening is the patient schedules it as a px to get their meds, but the doc marks it as an office visit) and we should be billing preventive AND an E/M :)

ugh......this is just the tip of the iceberg