Wiki Medical Equipment And Medical Supplies Billing

SAYURY

Best answers
I Would Like To Know If Anyone Can Give Me Information On How The Billing For Medical Equipments And Medical Supplies Goes? Which Claim Forms To Use? Is It Just Like Medical Claims Were You Have A Procedure Code, W/ Dx & Modifiers? Which Books For Coding These Services Can I Use?

Thank You,
Sayury

Sayury -

You will use the HCPCS code book to code DME. Also, utilize the CMS website for the billing guidelines/manual. You did not state what type of DME (Durable Medical Equipment) you will be billing for.

Johnna Grzywacz

Johnna,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY. IT CAME TO ME YESTERDAY THAT THE BOOK I HAVE TO USE FOR DME IS HCPCS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT WAS I THINKING... LOL:rolleyes: IN REGARDS TO WHAT TYPE OF DME I WILL BE BILLING FOR IS YET UNKNOWN FOR ME. SOMEONE ASKED ME IF I WAS INTERESTED IN BILLING THOSE SERVICES FOR THEM ONCE THEIR COMPANY OPENS. SO I JUST WANTED TO GET AN IDEA OF DME BILLING AND HOW DOES IT WORK.

DO WE BILL USING CLAIM FORM 1500? OR CLAIM FORM 1450?

Hi Sayury -

Your will use the 1500 claim form to bill DME. The 1450 (UB04) is used by institutional (hospital and nursing home, for example) and other selected providers to complete during a patient's Med A stay. It sounds like your interest is in a DME Billing Company. If you are new to this entire DME billing process I suggest, to start out, first familiarize yourself with the following:

1. Your DMERC region (jurisdiction)
2. Billing Company must be Accredited
3. There are approx 11 Accreditation Organizations. Choose one.
4. Understand the current "Competitive Bidding" process. It is under way under it's second phase. The short explanation is that it is in place to protect beneficiaries and keep fees down.

Hope that helps,
Johnna Grzywacz, CPC
NH

DonnaBsmith59

I to am working for a DME company. I have not yet started the billing.
I have been told all kinds of things. Like the insurance company wants you to fold the 1500's only the way that they say. And a lot of little things like that.
Is this ture? And How can I get more infor on DME billing?