Wiki Moderate (conscious) Sedation ADMINISTERED and monitored by hospital employed nurse

sarahpoe

Contributor
Best answers
I am trying to obtain clarification of when moderate sedation can be reported by the same physician performing the diagnostic/therapeutic service when performed is a hospital setting. Is it appropriate to bill 99151-99152 if the moderate sedation if it is ordered by the physician, but is ADMINISTERED by the hospital employed nurse who also monitors the patient, or is it expected that the physician performing the diagnostic/therapeutic service order and personally administer the moderate sedation in order to bill for the physician's work? I can not seem to find any solid publication that clarifies this scenario. Any guidance is much appreciated.

moderate sedation by a hospital employee verses a physician paid employee a

I cannot find documentation any where that states the trained observer must be a physician employee who is doing the procedure and overseeing the trained observer. I need written proof to show my doctors. Can someone please tell me where I can find this?

moderate sedation by a hospital employee verses a physician paid employee a

I cannot find documentation any where that states the trained observer must be a physician employee who is doing the procedure and overseeing the trained observer. I need written proof to show my doctors. Can someone please tell me where I can find this?

This may help. I came across it when I was trying to figure the same thing out!

http://aamsn.org/faq

I found our hospital's policy on administering conscious sedation. It specifically states who is considered qualified to administer so it helped take the guesswork out of it for us.