• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We’re introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Modifers

Shortcakecoder101

Networker
Best answers
Hi, I'm billing the following the CPT'S...20605, 96372, 96372, J1100 and J1885. The claim initially denied for procedure codes 20605 and 96372. I also added an LT modifier to the aspiration, but it still denied. I appreciate any help!!!

Thanks!

Henson65

Networker
Best answers
Hi, I'm billing the following the CPT'S...20605, 96372, 96372, J1100 and J1885. The claim initially denied for procedure codes 20605 and 96372. I also added an LT modifier to the aspiration, but it still denied. I appreciate any help!!!

Thanks!
96372 is a column 2 code to 20605 and modifier indicator of 1

Chelle-Lynn

True Blue
Best answers
A general description of the 20605 procedure is...

Arthrocentesis is performed to remove fluid from a joint or bursa in order to diagnose the cause of joint effusion and/or to reduce pain caused by the excess fluid. Injection of a joint or bursa may be performed in conjunction with the arthrocentesis procedure and is typically performed using an anti-inflammatory medication such as a steroid to reduce inflammation of the joint or bursa. The skin over the joint is cleansed. A local anesthetic is injected as needed. A needle with a syringe attached is inserted into the affected joint or bursa. Fluid is removed and sent for separately reportable laboratory analysis. This may be followed by a separate injection of medication into the joint or bursa.

So generally the 96372 is built into the 20605 code unless there is a significant and separate reason for an additional injection beyond this procedure.