Wiki Modifier 26 - ultrasound guidence

mmelcam

Expert
Best answers
Scenario: A physician does a breast biopsy with ultrasound guidence at a surgery center. The radiologist performes the ultrasound during the procedure and the physician dictates in the operative report that the ultrasound was done and where it showed the mass was. My question is can the physician bill for the ultrasound with a 26 and if so does a seperate radiology report have to be dictated in order to bill with a 26?

26 modifier

Yes you can use a 26 modifier for the ultrasound billing. If the physician had used their own ultrasound machine, then there is no modifier needed.

The physician I work for dictated a seperate radiology report when she used her own ultrasound machine. When she used the hospitals, the report was included in the biopsy report.

Melissa,

If I'm understanding you correctly, a radiologist other than the physician doing the biopsy performed the ultrasonic guidance. Please verify.

Yes, Karen that is what I mean. Does the physician have to dictate a seperate radiology report in order to bill for the ultrasound with a 26 or can it be included in the biopsy report?